Welcome to the Koken CMS community!

Here at KCS, you will find a friendly bunch of photographers who like to share their love for the Koken CMS. We hope that you will enjoy your time here and thrive in our community!

You asked for it: Donations!
You asked for it, and it's here: The possibility to "buy me a beer (or more)"!

Seriously: By giving a small paypal donation you will help with keeping this site afloat and also give me more incentive to develop OxyGen further... ;)

// Bjarne Varöystrand and the KCS Team
Koken Development

4K (UHD) display support

Theme editing, customization and publishing.
Official documentation is here
Forum rules
As of late, we have been seeing cases where some of you have been posting multiple types of questions within a singular type of topic...

This makes searching here a nightmare for people whom are attempting to find out whether or not their question has already been asked, or possibly even answered. Therefore, I would like to implement some very basic rules, which I think everybody will be happy with, given that they will lead to better search results.

1. All public communication is done in English
  2. ONE question per topic
  3. Make the title descriptive
  4. If it's regarding a theme: make sure you mention the theme name.
  5. Leave a URL to your site, since sometimes, custom "hacks" and CSS will be uniqe to your site.

I believe that these simple rules will not only make our lives easier, but also the lives of our visitors :D

I am of the opinion that ignoring these requests will make it harder for us all.
Plus, we won't be able to actually mark an issue/topic as solved, since it would be more difficult to determine what we're actually trying to solve! For example: Are we addressing the first, second or third question?
papercrate
User
User
Your name: Andrew R

4K (UHD) display support

Postby papercrate » Sat 03 Feb 2018, 04:57

Made this request in the Koken Feedback list, but thought I'd see if there was a solution we could do ourselves. I'm not scared getting my hands dirty in the code. Given the ubiquity and growing popularity of ultra high definition displays we need to be able to serve images at a higher resolution than 1600px. I change the max width in the theme settings but the images don't actually get rendered at that new max width. It appears the largest size is 1600px. Is there anyway to change this? Or is this a foundational part of the Koken application and image processing, making it much more difficult to change?
papercrate
User
User

Re: 4K (UHD) display support

Postby papercrate » Sat 03 Feb 2018, 05:49

Scratch that, it looks like we can feed the site the maximum processed image at 2048px. But still, it'd be great to be able to make it feed an even larger image (like 4000px max width). It would be neat to have it for anyone accessing the site full screen on a newer 4k display.

I wonder if we could just edit some things in the Image library file and set up Koken to create/process another image size above 2048px? Hmmm...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 11.41.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 11.41.52 PM.png (249 KiB) Viewed 440 times
papercrate
User
User

Postby papercrate » Sat 03 Feb 2018, 23:00

I have an idea... how about a higher resolution option for the theme page layout (I'm using Madison 2 here). So instead of just choosing List or Grid, there is another layout option for each display resolution. So then we can set the higher resolution for grid and select Grid.

I.e. Under PAGE LAYOUT section in the Template Settings

Enable List/Grid selection per display resolution

High res cols (toggle List/Grid, slider for number of columns if Grid)
Desktop cols (toggle List/Grid, slider for number of columns if Grid)
Tablet cols (toggle List/Grid, slider for number of columns if Grid)
Mobile cols (toggle List/Grid, slider for number of columns if Grid)

I know this is probably a feature request at this point, but just nice to get those ideas out there to bat around with others. Is any development actually happening on Koken anymore anyways? Or have we all been left to our own devices by NetObjects?
Bjarne Varöystrand
Webbplatsadministratör
Webbplatsadministratör
Your name: Bjarne Varöystrand

Postby Bjarne Varöystrand » Mon 05 Feb 2018, 23:34

Hi there Andrew.
The maximum 2048px is actually a max imposed by the theme... :ugeek:

And that can be changed by editing the theme info.json

I should think that the Madison 2 info.json has the same/similar section there as OxyGen and BackStage:

Code: Select all

"lbox_max_width": {
   "label": "Max width",
   "type": "slider",
   "min": 800,
   "max": 2048,
   "step": 8,
   "value": 2048,
   "separate_lines": true,
   "suffix": "px",
   "reload_preview": true,
   "note": "Reduce for smaller images",
   "note_align": "left"
},
By changing the "max": 2048, you're able to allow bigger/4K resolution images.

The reason for this limit is berried in the Koken history, where some users where asking for a way to restrict the max size of presented images. This to avoid serving "to good" resolution images to non paying people.... :ugeek:

Please note
If you decide to edit the info.json please make the edits on a duplicate of the theme, this since you will loose any edits in coming theme updates.... 8-)
Regards
Bjarne Varöystrand - Image || Reddit || Twitter|| Facebook

papercrate
User
User

Postby papercrate » Tue 27 Mar 2018, 20:42

Just saw this reply, thanks Bjarne.

Is this only for Lightbox? I actually have lightbox disabled. I was hoping for higher resolution images displayed just in a single column on the album page.

Not a big deal though, I imagine most UHD display users will have the website displayed in a smaller window instead of full screen.
Bjarne Varöystrand
Webbplatsadministratör
Webbplatsadministratör
Your name: Bjarne Varöystrand

Postby Bjarne Varöystrand » Fri 30 Mar 2018, 23:10

You're welcome... 8-)

Yes the above is for lightbox only, the rest of the images is stretching the whole with that the theme is allowing.
papercrate wrote:Source of the post I imagine most UHD display users will have the website displayed in a smaller window instead of full screen.

Yep, I cant see my self running the browser in full screen at that resolution! :o 8-)
Regards
Bjarne Varöystrand - Image || Reddit || Twitter|| Facebook