Welcome to the Koken CMS community!

Here at KCS, you will find a friendly bunch of photographers who like to share their love for the Koken CMS. We hope that you will enjoy your time here and thrive in our community!

You asked for it: Donations!
You asked for it, and it's here: The possibility to "buy me a beer (or more)"!

Seriously: By giving a small paypal donation you will help with keeping this site afloat and also give me more incentive to develop OxyGen further... ;)

// Bjarne Varöystrand and the KCS Team
Koken Development

Open letter to the Koken team

KCS a.k.a Koken Community Support!
Keep up with what is happening around KCS by looking through this forum when you drop in...
Bjarne Varöystrand
Webbplatsadministratör
Webbplatsadministratör
Your name: Bjarne Varöystrand

Open letter to the Koken team

Postby Bjarne Varöystrand » Sat 12 Sep 2015, 04:55

Are you abandoning your users?
Dear Koken team,

I am one of the people who your team has seemed to have abandoned. A loyal user and a fan!
By now, everyone who uses Koken, knows that it is for sale, and that the team is moving on with life.
And I honestly don’t have a problem with either of those things, regardless of what is behind it all.
What I do have a problem with, is that you have seemingly decided to ditch everything concerning support for your user base!
Even for people who have and are STILL buying themes and plugins!

Come on guys!
If support has halted for currently sold items, then it would stand to reason that said items should either not be sold, or should be given away freely. Otherwise, it just seems greedy and inappropriate otherwise.
When someone buys an item, regardless of what it is or where they got it, they also count on getting support for the product they JUST bought...
After that, you should also consider making the forum "read-only". At least until you have sold the platform.
I personally know Koken users who have bought themes, and have tried to get a response from your team when encountering problems, but those efforts were futile.
Instead, they have turned to the unofficial Koken Community Support website, where we attempt to give what you're not able to: Support.

I realize this sounds harsh, and perhaps rightly so.
Since my first day as a Koken user, I have always promoted it to others looking for a CMS, because I find it to be an excellent piece of software.
Also, I have personally stood up for and have defended your absence, as well as your seemingly intermittent lack of support.
I have spent a lot of time here at help.koken.me, trying to help out the best way I know how and have even started up an unofficial, community driven support forum.
Not once have I heard a thing from any of you!
I’m not saying that it is absolutely necessary, but I think it's worth mentioning since what it feels like is: “Screw our users, get em' for some $$ so long as they are dumb enough to buy stuff!!!
As I’ve said, even to MY ears, that sounds harsh, but then… according to your loyal users, so are your actions, so…

All of that being said, there are solutions to be found. One possible solution, as previously stated, would be to make the official forums "read-only”, and then link people to the Koken Community Support - http://kokensupport.com/ instead.
I know this sounds like self promotion, but I am saying this with the users in mind. In fact, one of said users is actually proof reading and editing this letter right now! *Hi!* He also really likes the software a lot and has volunteered as such, because he believes in the power of community support.
Making the Koken Community Support officially recognized would raise your stock in the eyes of the users; and give newcomers a fair chance at getting answers to simple questions as well as more complicated solutions. It’s a win-win for all.

Unfortunately I feel skeptical that this will happen, or that this letter will be answered by either Todd or Brad. This is from personal experience, but would love to have you guys prove me wrong!

The above will also be posted on help.koken.me and on varoystrand.se, plus I will send as a mail to both Brad and Tod...
I also considering to post it in whole on the Koken Facebook page?

If your on Twitter...
I would welcome if everyone of you could retweet/tweet this letter @koken
Then we might have small chance to get an answer! :shock:
Regards
Bjarne Varöystrand - Image || Reddit || Twitter|| Facebook

Dougb
User
User
Your name: doug

Re: Open letter to the Koken team

Postby Dougb » Sat 12 Sep 2015, 16:51

I tweeted to their page. Here is the link for all to re-tweet:

https://twitter.com/bainstreetphoto/sta ... 2239893504

Doug
Comments and constructive criticism are always appreciated!

My Site - dbimages
Bjarne Varöystrand
Webbplatsadministratör
Webbplatsadministratör

Postby Bjarne Varöystrand » Sat 12 Sep 2015, 19:42

Dougb wrote:I tweeted to their page. Here is the link for all to re-tweet:

https://twitter.com/bainstreetphoto/sta ... 2239893504

Doug

Thank you @Dougb :)

Todd replied to my tweet here: https://twitter.com/tdominey/status/642705522060201984
Regards

Bjarne Varöystrand
Webbplatsadministratör
Webbplatsadministratör

Postby Bjarne Varöystrand » Sat 12 Sep 2015, 20:11

Got a reply via email from Todd Dominey:
12 sep 2015 kl. 19:22 skrev Todd Dominey <todd[a]koken.me>:

Hi Bjarne -

Thank you for setting up the Koken Community support forum and for the time you've spent assisting other Koken users.

Just wanted to offer a quick response to the 'open letter' you posted. I absolutely understand and appreciate the frustration you expressed, and I'm sure there are plenty of other people who feel likewise. The past few months have been very challenging for us, for we have both gone through significant personal and professional life changes while also working behind the scenes to find a new development team to acquire Koken. This has been a long and difficult process, to say the least.

The best possible thing we can do right now to support Koken and its community is to pass Koken along to a new team. We have invested a significant amount of time to reach that goal. This has left little time for us to provide the free technical support we had been offering before, which I agree is unfortunate. That said, what's most important for everyone who cares about the product (including us) is to acquire new ownership as quickly as possible. Expect to hear an update from us on these efforts soon.

In closing, thank you again for everything you have done to support the product. Your participation has come at just the right time, and we applaud your efforts.

Best regards -

Todd

Todd Dominey
Koken
http://koken.me
http://twitter.com/koken
http://facebook.com/kokencms

A reply was way more the I did expect, but is it only me?...
But did he answer any of the questions above?... :?
Regards

Chris
Webbplatsadministratör
Webbplatsadministratör
Your name: Christopher Bayer

Postby Chris » Sat 12 Sep 2015, 20:40

Well, at least it's a response... lot of text saying nothing but the things already mentioned in the "koken is for sale" announcement.

I understand that they've had severe changes in their life and that they have no more time left to give support. I do not understand why he is not giving you a single answer to your questions. A disastrous signal in my honest opinion.
Christopher Bayer - Image || Reddit || Twitter|| Facebook

Dougb
User
User
Your name: doug

Postby Dougb » Sat 12 Sep 2015, 21:46

Chris wrote:Well, at least it's a response... lot of text saying nothing but the things already mentioned in the "koken is for sale" announcement.

I understand that they've had severe changes in their life and that they have no more time left to give support. I do not understand why he is not giving you a single answer to your questions. A disastrous signal in my honest opinion.

I agree, mostly. The ONLY thing I can think of which would warrant them not wanting to answer any questions, is whether or not they'll turn over ALL of their dev's resources such as plugins etc.. Because if they give things away for free now, that could be interpreted as them being able to keep it free, even under new management. Of course, most people are more logical than that, but you know...

That said, I agree that the reply was very standard form, and didn't show any respect in the way of attempting to answer anything at ALL. To me, that says a lot about how they might be handling turning their business over in general. Not good.

Doug
Comments and constructive criticism are always appreciated!

My Site - dbimages
repiuk
User
User

Postby repiuk » Sun 13 Sep 2015, 20:44

Ask him to donate 5% of the current monthly revenue of the store (which used to be $12000 according to the medium.com post) :D
Bjarne Varöystrand
Webbplatsadministratör
Webbplatsadministratör

Postby Bjarne Varöystrand » Mon 14 Sep 2015, 13:33

At least the reply was/is an "official blessing" of KCS!
And THAT is not bad...
Chris wrote:Well, at least it's a response... lot of text saying nothing but the things already mentioned in the "koken is for sale" announcement.
Exactly my thought to, nothing in the reply Thats not already in there "official we are selling post".
Chris wrote:I do not understand why he is not giving you a single answer to your questions. A disastrous signal in my honest opinion.

I agree with you, not a very good sign at all.
Leaves a lot of room for speculations: and in this stage/situation, that's one of the worst things they can do!
Dougb wrote:I agree, mostly. The ONLY thing I can think of which would warrant them not wanting to answer any questions, is whether or not they'll turn over ALL of their dev's resources such as plugins etc..

I'm rather sure, that the selling is about the "total package" as it today: including themes, plugins, support/store platform coupled with any resources they have "behind the scenes".
Dougb wrote:Because if they give things away for free now, that could be interpreted as them being able to keep it free, even under new management. Of course, most people are more logical than that, but you know...

have to disagree with you when it comes to the "logic part"
Unfortunately I have seen to much "whining" about the fact that the previous versions of the premium themes where free and now is costing money...
People seams to forgetting that development takes time and resources: and that even companies need to make some revenue to be able to pay the bills...
Dougb wrote:That said, I agree that the reply was very standard form, and didn't show any respect in the way of attempting to answer anything at ALL. To me, that says a lot about how they might be handling turning their business over in general. Not good.

Amen to that Doug!...
repiuk wrote:Ask him to donate 5% of the current monthly revenue of the store (which used to be $12000 according to the medium.com post) :D

THAT would be the day :lol:
I promise you, if this happens: I will through a BBQ and invite you all for free beer and steak :lol:
(Hoping Todd is missing this part of the thread!!! ) :roll: :lol:
Regards

edwin66
Donator
Donator

Postby edwin66 » Mon 14 Sep 2015, 17:55

Tweeted this. Hope they will give a real answer now.
Bjarne Varöystrand
Webbplatsadministratör
Webbplatsadministratör

Postby Bjarne Varöystrand » Mon 14 Sep 2015, 18:03

edwin66 wrote:Tweeted this. Hope they will give a real answer now.

Thnx, just noticed it ;)
Regards