Welcome to the Koken CMS community!

Here at KCS, you will find a friendly bunch of photographers who like to share their love for the Koken CMS. We hope that you will enjoy your time here and thrive in our community!

You asked for it: Donations!
You asked for it, and it's here: The possibility to "buy me a beer (or more)"!

Seriously: By giving a small paypal donation you will help with keeping this site afloat and also give me more incentive to develop OxyGen further... ;)

// Bjarne Varöystrand and the KCS Team
Koken Development

Managed @Koken is here, and I have tested it

This is the place to hang out, and just chit chat a bit
Bjarne Varöystrand
Webbplatsadministratör
Webbplatsadministratör
Your name: Bjarne Varöystrand

Managed @Koken is here, and I have tested it

Postby Bjarne Varöystrand » Mon 12 Jun 2017, 01:08

As some of you may have noticed, Koken/ @netobjects has launched a brand new service: Managed Koken!
And I have had the opportunity to give it a test-run.

I'm pretty impressed so far with both speed and the raw spec!
hosting2.jpg
hosting2.jpg (36.93 KiB) Viewed 2945 times

To be honest, this is a very attractive solution both when it comes to plain money and to what it's loaded with!
I have written a bit longer text about the subject over at my site: Managed Koken is here, and I have tested it, so if your interested jump over and read a bit more about it and then jump back here and give me your thoughts about the whole thing!
Regards
Bjarne Varöystrand - Image || Reddit || Twitter|| Facebook

lacu
Contributor
Contributor
Your name: Anna

Re: Managed @Koken is here, and I have tested it

Postby lacu » Mon 12 Jun 2017, 10:00

Nice move, NetObjects :) But pricey (and too restrictive) as for me and as for now.
Does it have backups?
Bjarne Varöystrand
Webbplatsadministratör
Webbplatsadministratör

Postby Bjarne Varöystrand » Mon 12 Jun 2017, 23:40

Yep, truly I very nice move, and surely something that will be filling a big void for many users; especially since the price tag is pretty ok.
lacu wrote:Source of the post Does it have backups?

Good question @lacu!
BackUps will be handled via a new plugin that will be released soon ;)
And exactly how this is/will be set up; is still a bit "secret", but I can disclose that this plugin will also be available to every Koken installation; so it wont be "Managed only" :ugeek:
lacu wrote:Source of the post But pricey

Well, I have to disagree with you here :D
Compared to what I pay today at, Dreamhost, it's actually pretty ok when you start comparing the "raw numbers" (I think the managed Koken maybe is $13 more expensive a year!)
lacu wrote:Source of the post (and too restrictive)

Yep, this was the biggest drawback IMHO especially considering that I need constant FTP to be able to develop in a good manner... :ugeek:
And we are already working on getting our own plugins in to the store, so these at least will be available as you would expect! :D
We will also go over some of the other third-party plugins nad see if we cant get them in to the store also :D

I will update the essay with all new information that comes forward as we steam ahead; and one new feature that was not mentioned in the original essay is that everyone will have access to free SSL via "Let's Encrypt", with optional "real certs" (this for a fee).
Regards

lacu
Contributor
Contributor
Your name: Anna

Postby lacu » Tue 13 Jun 2017, 09:18

Bjarne Varöystrand wrote:Source of the post Compared to what I pay today at, Dreamhost, it's actually pretty ok when you start comparing the "raw numbers"

Well, 512MB/20GB VPS is $5/month at DigitalOcean, and at Linode you get 1GB/30GB for that price. Backups are about $2 extra.
Their websites are stuffed with tutorials on how to set the VPS up and secure it, how to get LetsEncrypt certificate, etc.
Yes, it takes some time to learn, but it's not rocket science. I spent far more time to learn photography basics :lol:

Anyway, managed Koken is a great idea.
And if they're adding backups, they might someday add an UI to manage custom themes and plugins.
Bjarne Varöystrand
Webbplatsadministratör
Webbplatsadministratör

Postby Bjarne Varöystrand » Wed 14 Jun 2017, 10:03

lacu wrote:Source of the post Well, 512MB/20GB VPS is $5/month at DigitalOcean, and at Linode you get 1GB/30GB for that price.

Linode was a new "player" for me :D
Thnx for the tips, will check em out, since we are starting to grow out of this shared hosting suite faster then I was anticipating!
lacu wrote:Source of the post they might someday add an UI to manage custom themes and plugins.

Yep, that is the biggest drawback IMHO; but also one of the points in making it stable since a lot of problems that has been reported actually comes from some plugins and themes! (Mostly stuff that was written a while ago and haven't been updated to be fully compatible with the latest changes in the core).
But I believe that as we go ahead, there will come a solution to handle our themes and plugins via the console 8-)
Regards

Kamran
Your name: Kamran

Postby Kamran » Fri 21 Jul 2017, 12:47

The Problem is, that there is no support for the managed koken.

"As a Managed Koen subscriber you'll receive priority support directly from the Koken team."

But where can I get the support?
So I decided to cancel my Managed Koken test and I'm continuing with my own server.
Chris
Webbplatsadministratör
Webbplatsadministratör
Your name: Christopher Bayer

Postby Chris » Fri 21 Jul 2017, 21:53

Hi Kamran,

just open a ticket via http://help.koken.me/customer/portal/emails/new.

They will filter incoming support tickets and prioritize your ticket.
Christopher Bayer - Image || Reddit || Twitter|| Facebook

watcher24
Donator
Donator
Your name: Christoph

Postby watcher24 » Thu 24 Aug 2017, 22:34

I am also using Managed Koken since a few weeks.
I know a little bit such services, since the company i work for, also provides a SaaS offer.

Managed Koken was setup very quickly, so far it is performant, works quite nice.
The support - answering queston - is super slow. One of the reasons why i have subscribed at this forum.

However, i may resign Managed Koken to replace it with "something else" where i can customize themes. Not sure yet.
Updating php based software is not so much fun imho.
Chris
Webbplatsadministratör
Webbplatsadministratör

Postby Chris » Thu 24 Aug 2017, 23:40

Hi watcher24,

welcome to KCS!

As soon as you have a self hosted koken up and running, updating is a breeze. As soon as an update is available, you just have to do one click and you're done.

On the one hand Koken's support leaves room for improvement, that's for sure. On the other hand is koken's user base is rather small, so we can't expect a full fledged support team with support levels and one hundred employees.

If you want a web server that just works stick with managed hosting. If you are willing to spend a reasonable amount of time with setting up koken, administering your server or hosting package, are aware of the possible pitfalls and want full ftp access to your site then go ahead for a self hosted solution. Maybe you want to check out the koken's recommended hosts and our thread about tips on koken hosting.

watcher24
Donator
Donator

Postby watcher24 » Thu 24 Aug 2017, 23:54

Hi Chris

Thank you for the links.
koken's recommended hosts i have already read - and the thread about tips on koken hosting i have started to read 10' ago. :^) But that's fine.

I also agree in your arguments. I absolutely prefer the update without pain solution; i just have realized *now* that i can update to 0.22.24 ... which i most probably will do in a few minutes.
I have to see how i can workaround the few issues which i miss on the managed koken; i use the theme Regale 2 so far.
Chris
Webbplatsadministratör
Webbplatsadministratör

Postby Chris » Fri 25 Aug 2017, 00:05

Feel free to open threads about your issues. Most design issues can be solved by some custom CSS and Bjarne Varöystrand is my personal CSS guru. ;)

watcher24
Donator
Donator

Postby watcher24 » Sat 02 Sep 2017, 14:24

Another positive feature:
Setting up the managed koken for SSL requires about 3 clicks ... then you have to wait ~20'' ...
and DONE.

impressive!
raydoo
User
User
Your name: Raimund

Postby raydoo » Tue 08 May 2018, 22:54

Hello!

Does anyone know where the Servers are located? Support didn't answer me for months ...

Any new insights on the Performance?
Bjarne Varöystrand
Webbplatsadministratör
Webbplatsadministratör

Postby Bjarne Varöystrand » Tue 08 May 2018, 23:43

The servers is US based at the moment, but I should believe that this might change further down the road where you will be able to choose US/EU servers.
Regards