Welcome to the Koken CMS community!

Here at KCS, you will find a friendly bunch of photographers who like to share their love for the Koken CMS. We hope that you will enjoy your time here and thrive in our community!

You asked for it: Donations!
You asked for it, and it's here: The possibility to "buy me a beer (or more)"!

Seriously: By giving a small paypal donation you will help with keeping this site afloat and also give me more incentive to develop OxyGen further... ;)

// Bjarne Varöystrand and the KCS Team
Koken Development

What happened to the koken? :(

This is the place to hang out, and just chit chat a bit
faustvasea97
User
User
Your name: real world

What happened to the koken? :(

Postby faustvasea97 » Thu 20 Dec 2018, 08:18

Hi.

What happened to the koken, looks like forum is dying. I really like oxygen theme, koken, and hope the cms will be alive.

The forum is so quite now.

Bjarne you still here :D?
I'll buy you beer, 8-) , just come back.

Cheers.
casperghst42
Your name: Casper Pedersen

Re: What happened to the koken? :(

Postby casperghst42 » Sat 29 Dec 2018, 22:18

Koken was bought by NetObjects sometime in 2017 (it looks like). But in general they have never really been active in fixing things. In general it works, as long as you do not expect to use the LR plugin, which has been broken in one way or another for a very long time.

I have asked to the status more than once, and never received any update.

It's kind of sad as it actually is a quite nice tool - but ....
faustvasea97
User
User

Postby faustvasea97 » Mon 31 Dec 2018, 10:38

I'm not using lightroom plugin. But yeah, koken is amazing platform, and will be sad if will be closed.

Are you still using koken?

Haven't seen Bjarne for long time. Hope is OK and he will be back soon.
Kulturmensch
Donator
Donator
Your name: Dr Jürgen Tenckhoff

Postby Kulturmensch » Thu 10 Jan 2019, 12:21

From time to time I step in to see whether Koken arises but it seems to be not the case. I replace koken by wordpress what is a pity as koken was by far more attractive.
faustvasea97
User
User

Postby faustvasea97 » Thu 10 Jan 2019, 19:38

Don't really like WordPress, as I already purchased some plugins and themes from koken. Will be useless to invest again on WordPress themes and plugins
Bjarne Varöystrand
Webbplatsadministratör
Webbplatsadministratör
Your name: Bjarne Varöystrand

Postby Bjarne Varöystrand » Mon 21 Jan 2019, 23:31

I can assure you guy's I wont abandon you in any way... 8-)

I can agree with you when it comes to the development side of things: that is not good... :x

Personally I dont see the win with jumping over to WP (Been there, done that,....) as long as things runs smoothly (and they are). :geek:
Regards
Bjarne Varöystrand - Image || Reddit || Twitter|| Facebook

faustvasea97
User
User

Postby faustvasea97 » Tue 22 Jan 2019, 07:12

Bjarne Varöystrand wrote:Source of the post I can assure you guy's I wont abandon you in any way... 8-)

I can agree with you when it comes to the development side of things: that is not good... :x

Personally I dont see the win with jumping over to WP (Been there, done that,....) as long as things runs smoothly (and they are). :geek:

Yes, wordpress is not for photographers. It is good for bloggers, business, eCommerce, but couldn't found any good photography theme.
Carsten
User
User
Your name: Carsten

Postby Carsten » Fri 08 Feb 2019, 12:56

I think my concern is best addressed in this thread. I have a problem with Koken and the bigger problem is that NetObjects doesn't publish it in the Help Center. If you ask a question there, you know you get a hint that it has to be approved by a moderator first. Well, I described my problem there 2 times, but nothing appears in the Help Center. Also a direct inquiry to support with reference to it remained unanswered. And this is not the first time, I have experienced this in the past year similarly.

Does netObjects censor and only publishes nice requests in the help center, of which most questions remain unanswered anyway or get answered with standard phrases? Whatever is behind it, I find this behavior impudent. I'm a paying customer and can expect support, which is apparently denied here.

That's all very questionable at NetObjects. It was simply a big mistake of the original developers to sell Koken to NetObjects. NetObjects is Koken's gravedigger. Sad for such a good CMS, which could be turned into a really fantastic system with just a little initiative and effort.
I'm sorry for crying here, but it's the only place it might be heard.

Hats off, Bjarne, for your efforts at Koken, a task NetObjects doesn't seem to be able to or willing to do.

Best regards,
Carsten
Bjarne Varöystrand
Webbplatsadministratör
Webbplatsadministratör
Your name: Bjarne Varöystrand

Postby Bjarne Varöystrand » Tue 12 Feb 2019, 13:22

Sorry Carsten I can't answer for Koken and how they handle there forums.... :cry:

But I do recognize the "issue" and it has been there since day one, actually before the NO period...
Regards
Bjarne Varöystrand - Image || Reddit || Twitter|| Facebook

Carsten
User
User
Your name: Carsten

Postby Carsten » Thu 14 Feb 2019, 19:12

Hi Bjarne!
Of course you can't answer for NetObjects. I just needed a valve to get rid of my frustration about this "support". All the years I've used Koken I haven't even had five questions and never such experience before the takeover by NetObjects, the moderating was introduced first by NetObjects. Still in 2015 after asking in the help center I had a personal mail exchange with Brad Dailey about a matter and he helped quickly although certainly busy with development work.

From a company like NetObjects you should expect better, no support at all. And I say they can hardly support Koken because they never really cared about it. I'm sure NetObjects was just cherry picking some code, Koken as a CMS product is certainly not important to them. I don't know what experience you have as a developer of a theme with them, but after everything that comes or better doesn't come, I don't imagine it any better.

Well, it is as it is, we will probably all have to look for an alternative at least in the medium term. I've given up the hope that NetObjects will sell again Koken to someone really interested in it.
faustvasea97
User
User

Postby faustvasea97 » Sun 10 Mar 2019, 14:41

Carsten wrote:Source of the post Hi Bjarne!
Of course you can't answer for NetObjects. I just needed a valve to get rid of my frustration about this "support". All the years I've used Koken I haven't even had five questions and never such experience before the takeover by NetObjects, the moderating was introduced first by NetObjects. Still in 2015 after asking in the help center I had a personal mail exchange with Brad Dailey about a matter and he helped quickly although certainly busy with development work.

From a company like NetObjects you should expect better, no support at all. And I say they can hardly support Koken because they never really cared about it. I'm sure NetObjects was just cherry picking some code, Koken as a CMS product is certainly not important to them. I don't know what experience you have as a developer of a theme with them, but after everything that comes or better doesn't come, I don't imagine it any better.

Well, it is as it is, we will probably all have to look for an alternative at least in the medium term. I've given up the hope that NetObjects will sell again Koken to someone really interested in it.

I must agree with you. For such amazing CMS they need to provide some support. I been with them for couple of years, and had purchased premium themes and plugins. And I'm very disappointed of support here. Probably one day I'll give up with koken.
Activa
User
User
Your name: Activa

Postby Activa » Wed 13 Mar 2019, 14:53

Unfortunately (as a long-term NetObjects Fusion user - now only for maintaining old sites) the lack of support and development is exactly what I feared when NetObjects purchased Koken (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=177#p733). Their last Fusion version was released in April 2015 and remains incapable of generating a responsive website. I suspect that it may be a very long time before Koken (or Fusion) gets any further development.

Despite this, I'm still happy to use Koken, which remains very capable - and at least there's good support on this board, thanks to Bjarne and the other site members.
Wikirichi
Donator
Donator
Your name: Riccardo

Postby Wikirichi » Wed 13 Mar 2019, 22:46

Hi all,
I installed koken on a VPS (ubuntu with php 7.0, Maria DB, nginx)
i tried to place two installations but as soon as I activate the second none of them work.
I am not an expert at all therefore I am trying to unterstand: do I need two different .conf files for php two run 2 koken installations, or do they both use the same and only need two separate nginx configuration files?
Thanks
faustvasea97
User
User

Postby faustvasea97 » Thu 14 Mar 2019, 09:08

Wikirichi wrote:Source of the post Hi all,
i tried to place two installations but as soon as I activate the second none of them work.
I am not an expert at all therefore I am trying to unterstand: do I need two different .conf files for php two run 2 koken installations, or do they both use the same and only need two separate nginx configuration files?
Thanks

Maybe because of database, you can have 2 koken installed on Webhosting, as long they have separate data base.
yann.queniart
User
User
Your name: Yann Quéniart

Postby yann.queniart » Thu 14 Mar 2019, 23:18

Hi, 2 years without update, no support, i think it’s dead.

Personnaly i think for koken survive somebody (other than NetObjects) take over php code and continu the Development.
Wikirichi
Donator
Donator

Postby Wikirichi » Sat 16 Mar 2019, 13:02

faustvasea97 wrote:Source of the post
Thanks

Maybe because of database, you can have 2 koken installed on Webhosting, as long they have separate data base.

Well of course I do have separate databases of course, but I think it has something to do with the nginx server blocks configurations. I did not find any suggestions online about multiple koken installations on the same server unfortunately
faustvasea97
User
User

Postby faustvasea97 » Yesterday, 11:46

Wikirichi wrote:Source of the post
faustvasea97 wrote:Source of the post
Thanks

Well of course I do have separate databases of course, but I think it has something to do with the nginx server blocks configurations. I did not find any suggestions online about multiple koken installations on the same server unfortunately

I had 2 installation on same Webhosting, and e everything went well, unfortunately I had to buy an other Webhosting with domain due to server redirections and slower website loading.

Maybe I could help you.
Wikirichi
Donator
Donator

Postby Wikirichi » Yesterday, 22:01

Thank you faust!
I have managed to figure out the problem, it was with my php socket configuration, in also ended up reinstalling koken entirely (it's just a test install so no problem)
Thank you for your offer anyway!
faustvasea97
User
User

Postby faustvasea97 » Today, 09:34

Wikirichi wrote:Source of the post Thank you faust!
I have managed to figure out the problem, it was with my php socket configuration, in also ended up reinstalling koken entirely (it's just a test install so no problem)
Thank you for your offer anyway!

Glad to hear that you managed to fix it. No problem, you're welcome. :)