Welcome to the Koken CMS community!

Here at KCS, you will find a friendly bunch of photographers who like to share their love for the Koken CMS. We hope that you will enjoy your time here and thrive in our community!

You asked for it: Donations!
You asked for it, and it's here: The possibility to "buy me a beer (or more)"!

Seriously: By giving a small paypal donation you will help with keeping this site afloat and also give me more incentive to develop OxyGen further... ;)

// Bjarne Varöystrand and the KCS Team
Koken Development

Koken is Alive!

This is the place to hang out, and just chit chat a bit
ddegner
Donator
Donator
Your name: Degner

Koken is Alive!

Postby ddegner » Fri 12 Jul 2019, 16:29

NetObjects says they are happy to milk subscriptions out of Koken without investing in bugfixes and features:
viewtopic.php?f=5&p=5348#p5348

This is the worst of all possible ends to Koken. How can we encourage them to either continue working on Koken, or open source it?

There might be a guy Steve Rubenstien who is the last employee at NetObjects. Does anyone have contact info for him, or know who exactly we can petition?

Is there a way we can prove that investing in Koken's upkeep will be worthwhile? A petition, a go-fund-me, I'm open to all ideas. Or is there a way to show that open sourcing it will allow Steve to continue recouping his investment through subscriptions and theme sales?

We have all invested a lot of time getting our websites up, refreshing the content, and more. Lets invest a little time in actively keeping Koken alive.

https://www.reddit.com/r/koken/comments ... ken_alive/
faustvasea97
User
User
Your name: real world

Re: Koken is Alive!

Postby faustvasea97 » Sat 13 Jul 2019, 09:36

ddegner wrote:NetObjects says they are happy to milk subscriptions out of Koken without investing in bugfixes and features:
viewtopic.php?f=5&p=5348#p5348

This is the worst of all possible ends to Koken. How can we encourage them to either continue working on Koken, or open source it?

There might be a guy Steve Rubenstien who is the last employee at NetObjects. Does anyone have contact info for him, or know who exactly we can petition?

Is there a way we can prove that investing in Koken's upkeep will be worthwhile? A petition, a go-fund-me, I'm open to all ideas. Or is there a way to show that open sourcing it will allow Steve to continue recouping his investment through subscriptions and theme sales?

We have all invested a lot of time getting our websites up, refreshing the content, and more. Lets invest a little time in actively keeping Koken alive.

https://www.reddit.com/r/koken/comments ... ken_alive/

Hi.
Your idea looks good, but unfortunately I don't think this will change something.

I think now, is up to us if we want to stay with koken or no.

BTW, an other idea if interested. My Skype Faust_vasea
MikeB
User
User
Your name: Mike

Postby MikeB » Sat 20 Jul 2019, 00:24

https://www.linkedin.com/in/sraubenstin ... rofile_cta

or:

NetObjects Inc.
73 Old Dublin Pike
Suite 10-304
Doylestown, PA 18901

My other suggestion would be to approach the original owners who sold to Netobjects - mayby one of them may take some interest, though I wouldn't be surprised if not.
MikeB
User
User

Postby MikeB » Sat 20 Jul 2019, 00:34

Another thought. Michael Zhang (https://petapixel.com/author/michaelczhang/) wrote about Koken when it was up for sale - https://petapixel.com/2015/07/17/want-t ... -for-sale/
Maybe he'd be interested in a follow-up story?
Carsten
User
User
Your name: Carsten

Postby Carsten » Sun 21 Jul 2019, 12:46

Hi guys!
It looks like there are still some users here who have an interest in Koken and want to talk about it further. I didn't do much research but at the moment Bjarne's forum seems to be the only and probably best way to discuss all Koken things. I hope Bjarne agrees that we discuss this here and don't abuse his site and forum for this.

There are now 3 threads here all dealing with the same topic about Koken status and future. First I would suggest to agree on one thread so that it becomes clearer. To think positively I could imagine this thread. Opinions?

Throughout the threads approaches and ideas have been expressed that might be worth following: Looking for publicity, making Koken code available free under GPL, contact the original developers ...

It looks first and actual is to use existing sources where you can get Koken, themes, etc. This seems to be necessary. I only had a brief look today again but as I wrote before, only the main page koken.me seems to exist, there are no downloads anymore now and even the documentation is no longer available. I can still enter my account but I haven't tested any more. So we are obviously already on the sidetrack and dependent on other sources if we want to maintain our installations.

Let me hear your thoughts and opinions.
faustvasea97
User
User

Postby faustvasea97 » Sun 21 Jul 2019, 19:56

Carsten wrote:Source of the post Hi guys!
It looks like there are still some users here who have an interest in Koken and want to talk about it further. I didn't do much research but at the moment Bjarne's forum seems to be the only and probably best way to discuss all Koken things. I hope Bjarne agrees that we discuss this here and don't abuse his site and forum for this.

There are now 3 threads here all dealing with the same topic about Koken status and future. First I would suggest to agree on one thread so that it becomes clearer. To think positively I could imagine this thread. Opinions?

Throughout the threads approaches and ideas have been expressed that might be worth following: Looking for publicity, making Koken code available free under GPL, contact the original developers ...

It looks first and actual is to use existing sources where you can get Koken, themes, etc. This seems to be necessary. I only had a brief look today again but as I wrote before, only the main page koken.me seems to exist, there are no downloads anymore now and even the documentation is no longer available. I can still enter my account but I haven't tested any more. So we are obviously already on the sidetrack and dependent on other sources if we want to maintain our installations.

Let me hear your thoughts and opinions.

There's nothing available to download from koken site. So if you have all plugins on your FTP then you lucky. Luckily I'm keeping contact with an other great photographer from here which give me some plugin which i couldn't download from koken store anymore.

Also, i don't know where Bjarne is as well, and for how long this forum will exist.
Ch3ck3rM0n
Your name: Manuel

Postby Ch3ck3rM0n » Mon 22 Jul 2019, 10:32

faustvasea97 wrote:
There's nothing available to download from koken site. So if you have all plugins on your FTP then you lucky. Luckily I'm keeping contact with an other great photographer from here which give me some plugin which i couldn't download from koken store anymore.

Also, i don't know where Bjarne is as well, and for how long this forum will exist.

I am one of the lucky guys who is counting on backups. I have backups from the following plugins:

Payload:
Image Watermarks
Password Protect
Theme: Regale 2

Free:
Disqus
GDPR Cookie Consent
Google Analytics
HTML Injector
Pulse playback timer
Pulse transition pack
Carsten
User
User
Your name: Carsten

Postby Carsten » Tue 23 Jul 2019, 14:36

On GitHub is a source who has nearly all of Koken, from the installer to paid themes. What would be helpful, I guess for all, is the documentation. Does someone have a download of it?
faustvasea97
User
User

Postby faustvasea97 » Tue 23 Jul 2019, 19:43

Carsten wrote:Source of the post On GitHub is a source who has nearly all of Koken, from the installer to paid themes. What would be helpful, I guess for all, is the documentation. Does someone have a download of it?

Any link? Sad, i had to pay for all my premium plugins and themes. No, unfortunately I don't have documentations.
MikeB
User
User

Postby MikeB » Thu 25 Jul 2019, 02:07

Here are some links that provide some unofficial documentation:

InMotion hosting: https://www.inmotionhosting.com/support ... site/koken
How to install Koken.me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSvKSKu72hE
Koken CMS for Photography Portfolios: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxYrOKA5_RE

Also have PDFs of a few help pages I can upload, when I find somewhere to host them.